I have found meddlesome people to be the most unhappy people in the world. When they find their own lives empty or hollow it is easy for them to seek vicarious attachment to the people around them. Here are six common things that I have found in most of the unhealthy relationships that I have allowed a little too much access into my life.
1. Dangerous people seem to want to live through me not with me.
2. Dangerous people seem to love me for what they want me to be not who I am right now.
3. Dangerous people look for my motive when they should be looking for context that leads to understanding.
4. Dangerous people dehumanize me in order to objectify me.
5. Dangerous people seem to support me when things are going well and disappear when things are going bad.
6. Dangerous people seem to try to get (need) me to believe the way they see things rather than believe what they say.
- If you have had experience with someone who has hurt you with any of these six points what was it like?
- How did it make you feel?
- Did you confront them?
- Have you ever found yourself being persistently meddlesome in the past?
- If you are a recovering meddler (like me) what brought about your ability to see that you needed to change?