Here is the process I go through during the week in my prep feel free to interact with it. I am looking for constructive question, opinions, insight etc, on any part or step of the process you do not need to contribute to every question.
Biblical Exegesis for…
Acts 13:46–52 (ESV)
46 And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, “It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us, saying,
“ ‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’ ”
48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed. 49 And the word of the Lord was spreading throughout the whole region. 50 But the Jews incited the devout women of high standing and the leading men of the city, stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and drove them out of their district. 51 But they shook off the dust from their feet against them and went to Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
- Genre: What kind of writing are we studying
- Over-all: Narrative (historical & story), Law, Prophecy, Wisdom, Poetry, Narrative (Gospel & Acts), Letter, Apocalyptic
- Specific to the passage: Poetry or Prose?, Riddle, Typology, Parable, Allegory, Sermon
- Where is it in relation to redemptive history?
1. Creation by Word Genesis 1 and 2 2. The Fall Genesis 3 3. First Revelation of Redemption Genesis 4–11 4. Abraham Our Father Genesis 12–50 5. Exodus: Our Pattern of Redemption Exodus 1–15 6. New Life: Gift and Task Exodus 16–40; Leviticus 7. The Temptation in the Wilderness Numbers; Deuteronomy 8. Into the Good Land Joshua; Judges; Ruth 9. God’s Rule in God’s Land 1 and 2 Samuel; 1 Kings 1–10; 1 Chronicles; 2 Chronicles 1–9 10. The Fading Shadow 1 Kings 11–22; 2 Kings 11. There Is a New Creation Jeremiah; Ezekiel; Daniel; Esther 12. The Second Exodus Ezra; Nehemiah; Haggai 13. The New Creation for Us Matthew; Mark; Luke; John 14. The New Creation in Us Initiated Acts 15. The New Creation in Us Now New Testament Epistles 16. The New Creation Consummated The New Testament
- Subject: What is the passage about? Look at it’s context and surrounding text.
- Topics: What are the ideas in the passage?
- Key Words:
- What stands out as important?
- Original languages / Grammar
- Persons: Who is mentioned here?
- Action: Who is doing what? What is happening?
- Purpose: What was the writer / speaker trying to achieve
- Reasons: Are any reasons suggested?
- Arena: Is there any indication where something happens
- Events: …or when something happened?
- Method: …or how something happens?
Check for CONSISTENCY with the rest of scripture.
- Refer to commentaries, Study Bibles, Bible Dictionaries, etc
- What is the MELODIC line of the passage?
- What is the core message that sums up this teaching?
- Express it in contemporary wording….
Melodic Line of the text? In one sentence.
|Where is this passage located in redemption history and how does it relate to us|
|What does this point mean for the non Christian?|
|What does it mean for us as citizens, as employees, and so forth?|
|What does it teach us about Christ?|
|What does it mean for us as individual Christians?|
|What does it mean for our church as a whole?|
APPLY the melodic line (The lesson for us)
|Hidden Worldviews that Gospel application needs to counter.||How does the text counter one or more of these false worldviews.||Can I shed light on any of these hidden worldviews with this passage?|
|• Individualism — the story that “I” am the center of the universe|
|• Consumerism — the story that I am what I own|
|• Nationalism — the story that my nation is God’s nation|
|• Moral relativism — the story that we can’t know what is universally good|
|• Scientific naturalism — the story that all that matters is matter|
|• New Age — the story that we are gods|
|• Postmodern tribalism — the story that all that matters is what my small group thinks|
|• Salvation by therapy — the story that I can come to my full human potential through inner exploration|