(7) Jesus withdrew with his disciples to the sea, and a great crowd followed, from Galilee and Judea
(8) and Jerusalem and Idumea and from beyond the Jordan and from around Tyre and Sidon. When the great crowd heard all that he was doing, they came to him.
(9) And he told his disciples to have a boat ready for him because of the crowd, lest they crush him,
(10) for he had healed many, so that all who had diseases pressed around him to touch him.
(11) And whenever the unclean spirits saw him, they fell down before him and cried out, “You are the Son of God.”
(12) And he strictly ordered them not to make him known.
A Melodic Line for Mark 3:7-12: The Kingdom of God is at hand for everyone.
1. The Messenger shows the great NEED for the Kingdom of God
- Great crowd, Traveling from as far as Prince George on foot, The crowd HEARD what Jesus was DOING, Crush, Press
- The Messengers actions are what draws the people with needs.
- Being alert, becoming alive to the needs around us can be crushing. Stepping into Kingdom ministry can be overwhelming. But people like you and me will be blessed by the very presence of God’s Love.
2. The Messenger shows the great OPPOSITION toward the Kingdom of God.
- Jesus is withdrawing from the opposition of the Herodians and the Pharisees.
- Demons, legal religious experts, and politicians were all trying to implement their own kingdom vision and Jesus was getting in the way.
- Jesus is swinging an axe at the root of the kingdom tree that the Herodians, religious leaders and demons where perched were perched on.
3. There is more to this messenger than just a message of the kingdom of God
- Mark gives us some indication that the messenger is hiding his identity because it is sacred. Jesus will not be made known in an indiscriminate, random or chaotic way.
Q: Can we look beyond peoples sin to see the hurting person underneath like Christ does for us?
Q: In what way are the poor, sick hurting, needy, falling through the cracks in our kingdom of Canada.
Q: What does our kingdom ethic bring to our world today that can address peoples needs.