Hey I value any (constructive) pertinent insights, questions, thoughts or opinions that you might have regarding the main point or core message of the passage I am working on for this coming Sunday. Thanks your involvement is appreciated!
3 Translations of Mark 4:35–41:
>>>>>ESV | Mk 4:35 On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” 36 And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. 38 But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” 39 And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 40 He said to them, “Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?” 41 And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”
>>>>>NLT | Mk 4:35 As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.” 36 So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). 37 But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. 38 Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?” 39 When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. 40 Then he asked them, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?” 41 The disciples were absolutely terrified. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “Even the wind and waves obey him!”
>>>>>The Message | Mk 4:35 Late that day he said to them, “Let’s go across to the other side.” 36 They took him in the boat as he was. Other boats came along. 37 A huge storm came up. Waves poured into the boat, threatening to sink it. 38 And Jesus was in the stern, head on a pillow, sleeping! They roused him, saying, “Teacher, is it nothing to you that we’re going down?” 39 Awake now, he told the wind to pipe down and said to the sea, “Quiet! Settle down!” The wind ran out of breath; the sea became smooth as glass. 40 Jesus reprimanded the disciples: “Why are you such cowards? Don’t you have any faith at all?” 41 They were in absolute awe, staggered. “Who is this, anyway?” they asked. “Wind and sea at his beck and call!”
What do you think Mark is saying in Mark 4:35–41 THEN:
What do you think Mark is saying Mark 4:35–41 NOW (TODAY):
How do you think what Mark is saying APPLIES to our lives today:
What does this point mean for the non Christian?
What does it mean for us as citizens, as employees, and so forth?
What does it teach us about Christ?
What does it mean for us as individual Christians?
What does it mean for our church as a whole?
In your opinion does the main point or core message of this text counter one or more of these false contemporary worldviews?
• Individualism — the false story that “I” am the center of the universe
• Consumerism — the false story that I am what I own
• Nationalism — the false story that my nation is God’s nation
• Moral relativism — the false story that we can’t know what is universally good
• Scientific Naturalism — the false story that all that matters is matter
• New Age — the false story that we are gods
• Postmodern tribalism — the false story that all that matters is what my small group thinks
• Salvation by therapy — the false story that I can come to my full human potential through inner exploration
• Moralism— the false belief that the Gospel can be reduced to improvements in behavior
• Traditionalism — Adherence to tradition, especially in cultural or religious practice. Or a system holding that all knowledge is derived from original divine revelation and is transmitted by tradition.