To be truly “missional” today I think the church needs to address the cultural phenomenon of what I will call the every man a king and every king my servant philosophy. It is the first time in history that rulers submitting to the people is the norm in many parts of the world. It seems odd to be counter culture on this issue and claim the badge “missional” at the same time. Here is a great article by Brendan Kiley to help explain what I mean. (Click on the image below to read the article) I also have some questions below to interact with after you read the article.
Church or Cult? The Control-Freaky Ways of Mars Hill Church by BRENDAN KILEY
Here are some questions
1. Is it truly “missional” to attempt to dogmatically regulate a 2000 year old model of leadership in church today without making some major adjustments to fit our culture?
2. How can Evangelicals survive in an “every man a king every king our servant culture?”
3. When does leadership go too far in the church?
4. Do you have any testimonies of manipulative and controlling leadership?
5. Are you recovering from some form of abusive fundamentalism or church leadership.
6. How would you define a cult?
7. Do you think the church in the article seems to be using cult like tactics?
I (for sure) have a lot to learn as an evangelical pastor trying to step away from fundamentalism while remaining evangelical.